The practice of swimming is very important for the general development of the human being, therefore, it is one of the sports disciplines most welcomed by parents when starting their children in one or another activity.
These parents create many doubts and questions when taking their children to the pool, for this reason, they integrate them into a special swimming program for their age and their physical, emotional and cognitive development. Thus, when it comes to creating that expected independence, they realize that it is not so easy, since the child adopts certain behaviors typical of his age that is called attachment behaviors .
For this reason, the need arises to know what to do, how to do it, and from where to start so that this process of teaching swimming in babies is taught in the most appropriate and correct way.
Will my child learn to swim? Will you cry or be afraid when you are alone in the pool?
These are some of the most frequent questions that parents ask themselves when they take their children to a sports facility, it is at this time when it is necessary to be clear about the main objectives with which the baby starts in the practice of swimming, such What; enjoyment in the water, bonding, motor and psychological development, security, etc.
In this way, it is easy to determine how babies generate affective bonds with their parents in the aquatic space and how thus they can generate independence in the same space without generating a rejection of the aquatic environment in the future.
Work and Complicity Father and Son
One of the main characteristics that structure the personality is the affective part, in which a preponderant function is evident from before birth and that will interfere with the future development of the child. In this way, you should not consider the child a passive agent in the possibility of expressing their feelings and emotions, these being the ones that affect them in a pleasant or unpleasant way.
The closeness of the parents with the baby and the confidence and security they transmit will be the key to success. Eye contact and body-to-body contact will make it easier for the baby to learn the different water activities:
- Eye contact. In the pool, direct observation of the baby is essential, we will always be attentive to their evolution, in addition to transmitting affection. In the same way, it is recommended that the mother or father always be at the baby’s height so that he feels confident, always in eye contact. The baby focuses his eyes on those of his parents and thus can feel that transmission of tranquility to the aquatic environment.
- Skin-to-skin contact. Skin contact makes the parent-child relationship the closest and most differentiated from the other relationships that the baby may have. You will be able to differentiate the caresses and hugs of your mother from those of your monitor. This mode is the most effective way of transmitting confidence in the water, that direct contact and that show of affection on the part of the parents, is the fundamental basis for a good performance in the water, the knowledge is better transmitted by the parents too through the rewards of hugs, kisses, and caresses.
The Monitor Profile
The monitors of this field are in charge of teaching children to function in the aquatic environment. When working with children, the monitors have to make even more sure if possible that the activities are safe, as well as enjoyable, and stimulating. The monitor has to know the different approaches and programs of children’s swimming and adapt them to the possibilities of their students.
The monitor will be responsible for imparting the activities in all cases, although it may be supported by other monitors within the pool, it will in turn be responsible for the evaluation and achievement of the objectives set in its programming. Its location will almost always be in the water and it will be placed outside of it only when the situation requires it. It will mainly use teaching styles that actively involve the baby and that encourage individualization, tasks that encourage participation and activities that seek socialization.
In addition, you will use positive reinforcement in order to achieve greater significance in practice. He must know and update himself in new methodologies, always in continuous change and development to try to apply them in the class and that supposes a greater motivation. He must make the father and mother understand the need to prevent accidents during aquatic practices, and instill this idea in order to know how to react appropriately to this situation.
Also Read: Is Cell Phone Radiation Really Harmful?
These will be some of the most significant characteristics of the educational approach throughout the development of the water activities program for babies:
- It will have an open character.
- Its purpose will not be limited to the improvement of motor skills, so that other educational intentions are taken into account: development of cognitive abilities, interpersonal relationships, social insertion, etc.
- It will not focus primarily on the result of the activity but on the experiences and experiences.
- The activities will be developed in a general framework in which participation, creativity, fun, etc. are sought.
Benefits of Water Activities for Babies
The baby at 6 months is ready to receive his first classes in the pool. During this period, more importance will be given to discovering his body and its abilities through his own research, therefore the main objective will be the search for his development at a psychomotor, affective, and cognitive level.
Up to 4 years, children are not ready to swim, but that does not mean that the baby cannot enjoy in the pool and benefit from the many advantages that these classes provide, such as relaxation and the development of their motor and affective skills. and social.
In this way, the baby:
- Increase your IQ
- Build your immune system
- Strengthens your cardiorespiratory system
- Develop survival skills
As you have seen, the keys to programming activities adapted to babies lie in the benefits between parents and children of doing them together and that the monitor must use a valid methodology to plan them. If you want to acquire this type of skills, then enroll in the free online course “Water activities for babies”, available for workers and freelancers in the physical – sports sector, the social economy sector or for workers in ERTE.