Webcams are standard in notebooks, but not in monitors. In addition, the image quality leaves a lot to be desired in some cases. There are therefore several reasons why the Android smartphone should in some cases be “misused” as a PC webcam. You almost always have your cell phone with you and the quality is also significantly better (at least as a rule). You have a free choice in the subsequent use. You can start a video call for professional reasons as well as a webcam chat to get to know a person better. But how is the Android device trained in its new task?
Free of charge and with just a few clicks
In order for the mobile phone camera to become a webcam for the computer, two requirements must be met. To be more precise, you need an app for your smartphone and a suitable client for your PC. There is a wide range of options, one recommended app is, for example, DroidCam. It’s free, but there is also a paid version. With it, more FPS are possible (the image becomes smoother) and the image quality also increases. However, the purchase is not absolutely necessary, in many cases the free version is sufficient.
The setup using the example of DroidCam is very easy:
- In the first step, the app is searched for in the Play Store and installed.
- Then it has to be started, which in turn leads to the display of the two items “Wifi IP” and “DroidCam Port”.
- Now it goes to the computer from which the associated client is downloaded. The best way to do this is via the manufacturer’s website.
- After the installation, the client is opened and the data (“Wifi IP” and “DroidCam Port”) are entered from the smartphone.
- You can now optionally select what is to be transferred from these fields. Video, audio or both? Simply put a tick in front of the corresponding point.
- Finally, click on “Start” and the Android phone will work as a PC webcam.
Webcam chats have many advantages
It must be clearly stated that there will always be differences between real meetings and video chats or video conferences. The fact is, however, that the virtual connection also has its advantages. You should therefore see the option as a supplement to get the most out of it.
One advantage is that you can maintain social contacts even over long distances. In addition to a suitable device (smartphone, tablet, PC), all you need is an internet connection. It doesn’t have to be the fastest line either, as stability is more in the foreground.
It continues with the fact that webcam chats can be held from virtually anywhere. At home in bed, out and about in the woods, or even from the office. Sometimes this aspect turns into gold, as the corona pandemic shows. Despite the quarantine, you can stay in touch with your colleagues, etc. and you don’t have to do without anything.
Not to be forgotten is the “safe environment”. Sounds unusual, but when it comes to new contacts, for example, this is certainly not the worst idea. Before there is a real meeting, you can get to know each other a little and also judge whether there are feelings.
Bottom line, it’s clear that video chats have many advantages.